5 Nov 2016

My Grandfather Frederick Simmonds



This canvas is dedicated to my Grandfather Frederick Simmonds.He joined the Oxford and Bucks Army to fight in the First World War aged just 14 years old. In this photo he is with a Belgium family who took him under their wing when he was stationed there.

He was 18 years old when the war ended, his brother John died at The Somme on the 1st of July 1916.

 

 

Papercrafter Magazine very kindly wrote a small article about my Grandfather in their Remembrance Day Pages. Thank you so much.

"All we have of freedom, all we use or know—

This our fathers bought for us long and long ago."

Rudyard Kipling

Lest We Forget

I would like to enter this into Emerald Creeks Heartfelt Freedom Festivities Challenge

Thank you,so much for visiting.

You can see all the details about how I made this canvas on the Indigoblu Blog

Products used



3 comments:

  1. What a thoughtful idea Jannet, your canvas is beautiful. My own Granddad was at Ypres and the Somme, it must have been absolutely horrific for them. He received the DCM, but as he never spoke about the war, it was only a few years ago when my Husband and I did some research that we found his citation online. Fortunately, this was just before I lost my Mum, so she was finally able to see a copy of it. I'm just in the process of putting all of my Granddad's army documents and photographs in order for future generations. I love the sepia photographs of the time and yours looks just perfect with the Poppy. I received my copy of Craft Stamper this morning and your bauble is a real stunner. Take care and enjoy the rest of the weekend. Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jannet, this is a lovely tribute to your Grandfather! Thank you for sharing it with us at Emerald Creek for our Heartfelt Freedom Festivities Dare. Hugs! Sara Emily DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jannet, Thank you for sharing this with us on the challenge. I am a huge believer in supporting and remembering our heroes. I lover the personal history added to this and it warms my heart to know so many people still remember and honour their family and soldiers. Kim

    ReplyDelete

Please be aware if you leave a comment, your name and link to your blog (if you have one) will be seen by anyone visiting this blog. . Thank you so much for visiting, I would love to read your comments, I really appreciate them!


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye